Matt Sweeney joined Newmark’s retail team in 2006. As a managing director in the San Francisco office, he specializes in the leasing and sale of retail real estate throughout the Bay Area. Consistently one of the team’s top producers, Mr. Sweeney has closed deals worth more than $370 million in total consideration. His high career and annual transaction volume have earned him both past and present recognition as a CoStar Group Power Broker.
Mr. Sweeney’s extensive knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area market and his experience working in the retail development industry have allowed him to address the needs of both tenants and landlords. He has successfully negotiated numerous lease and sale transactions with national tenants, regional and local retailers, property owners and investors, developers and institutional REITs and multifamily owners with retail portfolios throughout the greater Bay Area.
Partial List of Landlord Clients
- Main Street Cupertino, Cupertino, CA: 17-acre mixed-use development including 130,500 SF of lifestyle retail, 260,000 SF of Class A Office, a 5-story, 180-room hotel and 120 apartment units
- Village at San Antonio, Mountain View, CA: 21-acre mixed-use development including retail, residential, hotel, office and theater components
- Baxter & Broadway, 51st & Broadway, Oakland, CA: Mixed-use develoment with 131 residential units and 7,393 SF of retail/restaurant space
- 100 Grand Avenue, Oakland, CA: Mixed-use development with 243 residential units and 12,000 SF of retail/restaurant space
- University Commons, Davis, CA: Planned 8-acre mixed-use development to include 264 student housing units and 150,000 SF of retail space
- Almaden Ranch, San Jose, CA: 350,000 SF development anchored by Bass Pro Shops, Total Wine & More, and Guitar Center
- Hamilton Plaza, Campbell, CA: 167,000 SF Whole Foods-anchored neighborhood shopping center
- Pleasanton Gateway, Pleasanton, CA: ground-up grocery-anchored center, 150,000 SF
- San Carlos Marketplace, San Carlos, CA: power center redevelopment, 147,000 SF
- Tasman & Fair Oaks, Sunnyvale, CA: retail mixed-use development with 300 residential units, 50,000 SF
- Napa Crossing, Napa, CA: LEED certified development, 30,000 SF
- 1700 California Street, San Francisco, CA: 8,000 SF flagship restaurant opportunity
Partial List of Tenant Clients
- Arcadia Development Co.
- Boos Development Group
- Brixmor Propeorty Group
- Brookfield Properties
- Carmel Partners
- Dollinger Properties
- Equity Residential
- Essex Property Trust Inc.
- Fairfield Residential Co. LLC
- Hunter Properties
- Invesco Ltd.
- Northwestern Mutual
- Pacific Properties Group
- Rubicon Point Partners
- Sand Hill Property Co.
- Sares Regis Group
- Shea Properties
- Bonchon Chicken
- Crunch Fitness
- CVS Pharmacy
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Great Clips
- Grocery Outlet
- Wells Fargo & Co.
Mr. Sweeney graduated from University of California, Davis.